This thatched cottage had been so un-loved for years that it was more than simple renovation project to turn it into a cosy holiday cottage.
Upstairs the space has been transformed:
- a new partition wall (created with a solid reclaimed elm door frame, and crafted to look like it has been there forever) was built to provide an extra bedroom
- new lath and lime plastering was painstakingly undertaken, with claypaint used to keep the walls breathable
- full re-wiring with industrial-style lighting fitted to either uplight the ceilings and increase the feeling of space and light, or downlight for a moodier, cosy nighttime option; and re-plumbing with chunky cast iron radiators
- black beams were turned brown and careful wallpapering added to the layering
- the challenging window areas were treated with tailored roman blinds and pelmets
- bespoke waney/live edge solid oak windowsills were designed and fitted
- chunky aged-oak doors were designed to look as authentic as possible with distressed edges to add to the authenticity, and beeswax-finish ironmongery (with traditional thumb latches) was sourced to complement the aged oak
- wide aged-oak floorboards were laid
For each room specifically:
- in the main bedroom (the Spice Room) we opened up the end of the room which revealed a curvy chimney breast and disused staircase - a new staircase was put in and a bespoke wardrobe designed and built to fit the quirky space beside the fireplace. We also designed and built a bespoke bed with integrated side tables and upholstered headboard to fit the room.
- in Bedroom 2 (the Green Room), a brick fireplace was discovered and restored and a chunky reclaimed elm beam was made to top it off.
- in the third bedroom (the Sunshine Room), every inch of space was utilised with bespoke built-in bunk beds and storage units.
- in the shower room, zellige tiles and a bespoke stone shower tray added some rustic modernity and, although it’s a small space, it works well as a wet room.
It was certainly a challenging project but it is now a place that they can treasure forever.
Have a look at what we do and how we do it and call or email us today to discuss your bespoke project.